Tuesday, February 22, 2011

SCD 3 Bean Salad

I've been making this as an easy side dish, but if you cubed instead of minced the ham, or added some cubed chicken in addition to the minced ham, it would be a great entree-lunch. This salad tastes best the next day, when the flavors have had a chance to meld. It's also a budget friendly meal!

I'm bad at food measurements (I'm one of those "eye-ball it" cooks) but if I recall correctly this is the recipe I "invented" -- feel free to play around with the quantities to suit your taste! Enjoy!

2 cans of cut green beans, drained (I prefer the Kirkland brand ones from Costco because they are packed with only a little sea salt, and a great value)

1 can black beans, rinsed well

1 can red kidney beans, rinsed well

4oz boneless smoked ham steak, minced

1.5 tbsp dried chopped onion (i've tried this with fresh minced onion and the flavor it just too overpowering for my taste, even in limited quantities)

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp dill weed

1/2 tsp Mrs Dash original

1 tsp Lawreys Seasoned Salt (shh, theres sugar in it, but only a little!)

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 tbsp white wine vinegar (this is the part you should tweak to your own taste, i personally dislike vinegar but appreciate the flavor it gives to salad dressings so I use the bare minimum amount to make it taste good without tasting like vinegar)

Mix all ingredients well, refrigerate to let flavors blend (I prefer overnight, and then I let it sit for 20 min on the counter to warm up the oil before re-mixing and serving). This makes 4 side dish servings, or 2 lunch portions.

No comments: